Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Bulletin Cover 2/15

I’d Rather Have Jesus
I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
I’d rather be His than have riches untold;
I’d rather have Jesus than houses or lands,
I’d rather be led by His nail pierced hand.

Than to be a king of a vast domain
Or be held in sin’s dread sway,
I’d rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today.

I’d rather have Jesus than men’s applause;
I’d rather be faithful to His dear cause;
I’d rather have Jesus than world-wide fame,
I’d rather be true to His holy name.

He’s fairer than lilies of rarest bloom;
He’s sweeter than honey from out of the comb;
He’s all that my hungering spirit needs,
I’d rather have Jesus and let Him lead.
Rhea F. Miller (1922)

This song was in my head last night as I went to sleep. I love it. The words are simple and pure. They are refreshing to me, a perspective on life that I desire to have at all times. We live in a time when we have so much. I know most people would not say that they are wealthy. Yet, compared to most of the rest of the world we are. I don’t believe that having all that we have is sin itself. I just want to know that if God asked me to get rid of it all, would I? Do I really believe that Jesus meets every need in my life? I hope so.

I resonate with this passage in Matthew in the Message:
24 -26Then Jesus went to work on his disciples. "Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You're not in the driver's seat; I am. Don't run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I'll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self. What kind of deal is it to get everything you want but lose yourself? What could you ever trade your soul for?

What could I ever trade my soul for? How about an active relationship with the Living God, and the bonus of eternal life?

No comments: